In a world where complexity can keep us up at night, I thought I’d paint a little fresh air on this canvas called branding.
These are simple statements that any businesses can do to create a brand that not only positions them for where they want to go, but to enjoy the ride along the way, as well.
And with so many things in life, simple may not be easy—but simple always seems to win.
1. Answer the question “why” you do what you do, and why it’s important.
2. Identify one authentic thing about your business you can “own” that is different or better than your competition.
3. Your name, logo and tagline are what people see most. Make sure they all work together and fit.
4. Write a simple brand promise that is relevant, memorable and motivating to your audience.
5. Create a short, clear and focused marketing strategy that builds upon your brand promise and identity.
6. Make sure team members know how their role impacts the brand promise.
7. Integrate your brand identity and promise consistently across all media—and especially include your team.
8. Have your stakeholders tell stories and give testimonials that relate to your brand identity and promise.
9. Don’t change your brand too often or it will confuse people.
10. One big idea, well-executed, can be a game changer.
Do these 10 things, and watch your business grow and succeed. I’ve seen it happen time and time again in my 30 years in marketing.
“There is no greatness where there is not simplicity, goodness, and truth.” ― Leo Tolstoy
“A child of five could understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.” ― Groucho Marx